Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Craigslist.com Is Awesome!

It all started because I've been wanting a pair of nightstands. Not anything fancy...just two matching nightstands. Ever since we've been married, the only piece of bedroom furniture we have had (besides the bed itself, of course) is a dresser that Mom let me take when I moved out that used to be in my old bedroom at home. It even still has some 'cool stickers' that I stuck inside the drawers! ;)

So, yeah, nightstands. I've been wanting some for a long time because we just always would keep little 'piles' of books, etc. next to the bed, and you know how I don't like it when I don't have a 'place' for things! So I always scanned the weekly emails that went out at Northland, hoping that someone would be selling nightstands. Ebay and Craigslist weren't much help, because apparently no one in the north woods uses those services, and I figured that shipping used furniture wasn't really worth the time or money. And so it has happened that I have now been searching for the nightstands for 3 years. And always in the back of my mind was the thought that it would really be nice to have a headboard for the bed, too. It would just make it look so much more grown-up, or something. But I wasn't sure how I was ever going to get all those pieces separately without ending up with a total hodge-podge look...and then I would think that hodge-podge would probably look better than bare-bones.... Ahh, the quandary!

Last week I was talking to Jordan about our lack of bedroom furniture once again, and he suggested trying Craigslist again. For some reason it had not dawned on me that now that we live in this great big thriving city I might have some better luck with it! So, I got on Craigslist and found an ad that was posted earlier this month for a whole set of bedroom furniture (bedframe, nightstands, armoir, and dresser). The price was unbelievable and the city it was listed in was WDM!!!! Wahoo! I emailed the guy right away and asked for a picture. He sent a picture. I forwarded it to Jordan. He said to go ahead and pursue it. (My excitement was escalating quickly!) I emailed the guy again. He emailed me back and said it had been spoken for! :( I was so disappointed! I then realized I had kinda let myself soar a little too high, because I crashed down a kinda hard! That was on Thursday. Anyway, we went away for the weekend (I'm still working on those pix, by the way...my blogging schedule has been interrupted by the story I am telling you now!), and I 'got over it.'

...Until Tuesday morning! The guy emailed me again! He said that the other buyer had not shown up, and asked if I was still interested!!!!! (Sorry, am I using too many exclamation points?!?! Hahaha!) Of course, I responded with a YES! Tuesday evening I went to their house (which was less than a mile from ours!) and took a look at the furniture. I told them that I'd love to buy it, but we would need to figure out how we would transport it since we don't have a truck. Plus, Jordan's in a block course this week from 5-10 every night, so I wouldn't have his problem-solving skills at my aid for at least 5 more hours. The family was in the process of moving and just really wanted that furniture OUT, so they offered to move it for me that very evening! I couldn't believe it! So, not only did I get a steal of a deal, but I got it delivered to my apartment!!!! Jordan patiently fulfilled his husbandly duties and moved the furniture into the bedroom that very night (from like 10:45-midnight, poor guy!)! I finished filling the drawers, etc., today, so below are the pictures of the finished product!!! Once again, we are just amazed by God's goodness in providing these wonderful little 'extras' for us!! :)

First, the before pictures:

The bed with no headboard or footboard...so boring!

And my trusty old dresser

Then the after pictures:

The bed now has a classy new look with this colonial-style four-poster frame. Also, notice the matching nightstands!!! Have I mentioned how exciting it is to have nightstands?!?! I'll never take a nightstand for granted again! ;)

A slightly different angle

The armoir and the dresser

Another angle of the dresser

Another angle of the armoir...which is completely empty, haha! Talk about decorative furniture! ;)

8 comments:

jules said...

jen that's wonderful! it looks great, you're going to have so much fun with the set!!! :) way to go!

Paula said...

Wow! Those are absolutely gorgeous - congrats on getting them! And having beautiful matching sets of furniture is always an awesome thing. Yay! :D

Unknown said...

wow, That is so nice. It looks great.

Jess said...

jenny! i love it! it looks so beautiful! i like the dark wood. your before and after pix look really dramatic! that really did make an amazing difference! i didn't know until now that that was the same set u had wanted before - i'm so happy for you! that was so sweet of jordan to set it all up right away :)

Anonymous said...

You make your mother-n-law proud!!
In a good way of course;-)

Anonymous said...

Jenny its beautiful!! I love your new room :D I am sure you had so much fun getting everything in its place :D I can't wait to see it all in person!!

Charity Dawn said...

It really does look great! How fun that it all matches! Yes, nightstands are a must for us too.

Anonymous said...

You obviously waited for the most beautiful set there is!! Is it cherry? WOW!!! Congratulations. What a difference. Worth the wait.