Monday, March 25, 2013

Memorable

Easter Sunday, March 26, 1989


Tomorrow, this picture will be 24 years old.

Excuse me?! I'm not even 24 years old yet!!!

So, aside from the fact that there seems to be some mathematical inconsistencies with the dating of this picture, ;) it is definitely fun to reminisce on! Mom, correct me if I'm wrong, but this picture would have been taken in our home in Osceola, IA. We moved to MN later that year. Here, Jason would have been 8, me 5, Julie 4, and Jessica 2. Of course, we're all dolled up for church, complete with lacey socks and frilly dresses! Each of us girls has a tiny "I love Jesus" pin on our dresses. They were presents from Grandpa & Grandma Rabe if I remember right. Mom always put our hair in rollers on Saturday nights so we'd have lots of curls Sunday morning! :) I don't remember much about the church we attended there. One individual does stand out in my memory...and older man who would wink at me during the service. I would always try so hard to wink back at him! Not sure if I was ever successful, though! ;)

I wonder at what point my parents bought the oak bookshelves? They were in every home I can remember, and featured as a background for many pictures! I always thought they were so fancy. And dusting the items displayed on them was a job I undertook with great care. I see here Mom had a cute little bunny out for Easter! :) And apparently we'd recently watched "Cinderella" - my all-time favorite Disney princess movie! :)

Through the doorway in the background, I can see the end of Mom's beautiful buffet in which she kept all her china. It would appear that some little hands had strung together a lovely garland made of colorful construction paper to decorate it. Not sure what the occasion would have been for that? Jessica's birthday would have been over a month before this, and my Dad's birthday was still almost a month away. Maybe it was just for Easter. It's strange the feelings evoked from seeing such well-loved toys again! Lots of hours of wonderful play were spent with the little doll stroller, the little red wooden wagon, and the Fisher Price farm you can see in the background of this picture!

Happy Easter! Be sure to take some pictures, everyone! :)

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hard to believe all you "little ones" are married now. I so remember Jessica's little head next to your Dad in church. I'm guessing she was regularly sharing her latest coloring project with him. He'd look down and acknowledge it with a smile.
Wonderful memories. =)

~Sam said...

Such a sweet memory to write about! Matt had that same Fisher Price barn too- my boys play with it all the time at grandma's house:)

Unknown said...

What a fun picture to see!!! :D All of my little J's!! Well, we got the bookshelves right before Julie was born----in fact, that is when we got most of our furniture!! Until that year, we didn't have very much. In THIS house in Osceola, the kitchen was so small----I think I had only two cupboards, so used some of our bookshelves to store pots, pans, etc. The whole house was small, really, AND SO COLD!!!! It didn't have a basement and was over 100 years old----you kids spent alot of time playing in your bedrooms upstairs when it was freezing cold outside, 'cause the floor was so cold on the main floor!! Anyway, our dining table was in the room with the china hutch, so I used the china hutch as my "fridge" and displayed your 'artwork' on that!!! It was a cozy house, anyway, but we were very thankful when Kevin got the job in MN!!!

Julie said...

I love the memories of our family back then! <3