Thursday, March 08, 2007

Cold Hands, Warm Heart...and Stinky Feet!

Little known fact: Have you ever heard the old adage, "Cold hands, warm heart"? One day, an elderly lady randomly told my mom in the grocery store that the phrase is also supposed to include "Stinky feet"! So, there you have it! ;)

Well, to continue with the theme of old adages, the month of March definitely came in like a lion this year (which supposedly means it will go out like a lamb). We had a couple big snowstorms to finish off February and to lead us into March. So, after having little or no snow all winter, we have had a major setback and now have almost two feet on the ground as well as many large drifts and piles. It was definitely very exciting to have some winter weather after such a calm winter, though. For some reason the cold is so much more bearable when there is snow on the ground! However, I have heard from several people that our temperatures are supposed to 'soar' into the 40's by the end of the week! We shall see. I like the idea of warmer temperatures, but I don't like the idea of all the slush and the melting dirty snow. :P I suppose it is a necessary evil.


Pictures of the snow drift on top of the Ladies' Dorm. It was a couple feet deep and hanging off the edge by about three feet! Thankfully, it was far enough away from the walkway to avoid any danger when it came down!

This past week was fairly uneventful, but still very good. :) We babysat for the Woods kids Friday - Saturday. They are so fun! Then, Saturday afternoon, through a providential series of events, I was able to go to Green Bay with my good friend Rachel Woodward to join in on the Northland Neighbors Lunch at the Olive Garden! Mmmm! It was scrumptious to say the least! And the fellowship with the other ladies was awesome! We actually had about 35 ladies there in all! I ordered Tuscan Garlic Chicken because I make it at home sometimes and had never had it at the Olive Garden. I decided my recipe is not too far off. I think I season my chicken better, but their sauce was probably better than mine. Rachel and I had a great time hanging out around Green Bay for a few hours after that before heading home.Jordan and Caeleigh Joy 'playing' PlayStation

Cotter, Caeleigh, and Caeden...awe, they're such cuties!!

On Tuesday, Jordan and I decided to go watch the Men's Volleyball game, but when we got there, the gym was empty!! Apparently the game had been cancelled. Since my shoes were already full of snow from the walk up there, it seemed necessary to do something, so we went to the Daily Grind. We got my favorite warm drink...Cafe Mocha...and Jordan also got his free T-shirt (as promised by Dean Trondle) and then we went to the Rec Hall and played Foose Ball. We had so much fun!! It was a lot like the good ol' dating years! Haha! The snow was very sparkly and pretty and we got a lot of laughs trying to push each other into it. (Thankfully Jordan had mercy on me, and the only place I got any snow was in my shoes!) Heehee!Jordan sporting his free new Northland T-shirt that he won by being the first to join Dean Trondle's Facebook Group. The idea was that by putting the T-shirt on over his coat, Jordan would look more 'buff.' Unfortunately it mostly just makes him look like a blimp. He looks much better without the coat underneath. ;)

I just also want to say that I am so thankful that God has kept us here at Northland for these years. On Tuesday afternoon I got to spend some time talking with Christie Whitt and Susan Wagar. I had to do it for a project for school, but I was so encouraged and challenged by the time that we spent. What a unique place to live...where you are surrounded by people who have such a wealth of experience and knowledge to share, but are so real and transparent in the way that they live their lives. I pray that these years will not be wasted, but that I will be a more useful vessel in God's ministry as a result of what I have learned and observed here.

And one more thought to carry us through the rest of the winter season (lest we become too anxious for the winter to end and the summer to come)...

Winter, a lingering season, is a time to gather golden moments,
embark upon a sentimental journey, and enjoy every idle hour.
- John Boswell

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

what a fun post Jen! it is fun to see you all your SNOW pictures :) ours is almost melted! yeah!! I can't wait until you guys come to visit!! just a few more weeks!! love ya.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you both had a lot of fun. Love the pic of Jordan with Caeleigh Joy. He looks like a natural:) Have a nice weekend. See you Sun.

jules said...

wow! lots of snow, great picture-age jen :)
that was nice jess babysat on saturday so you could go to green bay!! did you have a fun time, what did you eat?
love you :)