Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Of the Election

I now have a new name to fill in on my prayer list where it once said "Future President": Barack Obama. I disagree with Mr. Obama on several moral issues that matter deeply to me. I also disagree with his economical views...Marxism has never appealed to me. It baffles me how a nation which enjoys the "blessings of liberty" would choose a president who espouses such views. But, as I have heard so many other Christians say over the last several weeks, "God is in control."

Which brings me to the article that lit the fire under me to want to even write a post about the election. Since I have never written anything political on here, I had every intention of letting the election go unnoticed by my blog. I Corinthians 2:14 says, "The natural person does not accept the things of the Spirit of God, for they are folly to him, and he is not able to understand them because they are spiritually discerned." The article, written by Amy Sullivan and published by Time.com today, illustrated the above truth in a sad and frustrating way. Just read the first four sentences of the article (I've copied them here):

"James Dobson may be the only evangelical whose Sunday school teacher apparently never warned him to be careful what he prayed for. Two weeks before Election Day, the Focus on the Family founder chatted with Sarah Palin on his radio show and shared his back-up plan for the struggling GOP ticket. He was, Dobson told her, praying for "God's intervention" and that "God's perfect will be done on November the fourth."

"Unless Dobson has undergone a dramatic political conversion, it's safe to assume he does not consider Barack Obama's election on Tuesday to be divinely ordained."

I definitely don't want to be putting words into Dr. Dobson's mouth or misrepresenting him. I'm pretty sure that we don't agree on everything; however, I think he and Christians in general are being misrepresented by Ms. Sullivan in this article. I know I for one have said the same types of things Dr. Dobson was quoted saying here. The part that Ms. Sullivan is missing is that "God's perfect will" did not necessarily mean "John McCain." I fully believe that "God's perfect will" was done yesterday. After all, doesn't Proverbs 21:1 say, "The king’s heart is a stream of water in the hand of the LORD; He turns it wherever He will."? Kings! How much more does He have the heart of a President in His ultimate control? No, Ms. Sullivan, you are wrong. It is not "safe to assume [Dr. Dobson] does not consider Barack Obama's election on Tuesday to be divinely ordained." On the contrary, I think that Dr. Dobson along with the thousands of other Christians who prayed that "God's perfect will be done on November the fourth" must believe that Barack Obama's election on Tuesday was indeed divinely ordained. And now the One Who has the power to ordain the world's leaders should be praised by His people for His sovereignty and His promise to work all things to His glory. "For from Him and through Him and to Him are all things. To Him be glory forever. Amen." I guess one big reason Ms. Sullivan's article bothered me was because she basically said that God was no longer in control because Mr. Obama was elected to the presidency. But Psalm 103:19 says, "The LORD has established His throne in the heavens, and His kingdom rules over all." What more can I say?

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Great post!!! I loved reading it, and it voiced my thoughts perfectly. Thanks!

Paula said...

Yes. As with many of God's decisions, we may not understand or see why it happened the way it did, but He is in control and He has a plan for us, so though I disagree with Mr. Obama on many things, I am ready to respect him (as I do all in the office he will soon take) and try to put aside negativity about him, as we really have no idea what he will accomplish.

Jess said...

you are so good with words - you always blog so perfectly :) anyways, yes, it really is comforting to know that the fact that obama is president means that it was God's will and God, who loves us, is in control...

Anonymous said...

great insight jennifer! thanks for sharing that.

Anonymous said...

Preach it, sister!! LOL!
I totally agree with you!!

Anonymous said...

AMEN!!!!! I Agree! God appointed President Obama and therefore He has my respect! Think of David when he had it in his power to kill king Saul in the cave! He said he would not touch the LORD's Annointed! If God doesn't want Obama in office, he'll take care of it in His Time! However, it appears that for such a time as this God is going to use Obama in spite of himself!

Anonymous said...

Thank-you Jenn for your posting! Let His Will be done! It is usually against our own flesh anyways! People get ready. Even the elect may be deceived. For more study on the AntiChrist go to www.profoundprophecy.com and click on the AntiChrist study. It's 2 hours, but if you can stick with it, it is well worth it. Serious Unveilings of the AntiChrist!