Friday, July 31, 2015

Serena's 6th Birthday Letter

Dearest Serena,

Oh my!  How did this day come already!?  We've celebrated your sixth birthday, and I have to say it's been a pretty sweet one!  You decided to wait and save the celebrations for when Grandma & Grandpa & Auntie Anna were here, so your birthday passed pretty quietly.  You played a wedding and adopted a lost baby you found along the way (Bret).  You took care of puppies, read books, dressed your babies, built a new-to-you 100-piece puzzle, and played with paper dolls (including one that I received for my 6th birthday and gave to you today).  And so, in a way, the day passed exactly as any normal day.  But, I did get you out of bed with the "Happy Birthday" song (in English and Spanish, heehee!), and we had pancakes for breakfast, and blew up balloons which I shaped into cats and dogs (let's just say it's a good thing you kids have such great imaginations!).  You also got a call from Aunt Julie & Aunt Jessica, who sang "Happy Birthday" to you as well!  It's so fun to see how you smile with such unabashed delight when people sing "Happy Birthday" to you!  This morning, you ran through the house shouting, "Aren't birthdays wonderful?!  Aren't birthdays wonderful?!  I just love birthdays!"


Of course, as we usually do in the days leading up to a birthday, Daddy & I have been voicing our concerns about allowing you to turn another year older.  I think this is the first year that you didn't get all upset and cry as if we really could prevent you from getting older!  ;P  This year, you have taken a different tack; you just laugh at us and remind us that we can't stop you from growing up.  And besides, why would we even want to, you ask?  You have recently changed your mind from your plans to be a teacher in Mexico and now intend to live in our basement, provided Daddy makes good on his promise to you to furnish it with a kitchen and a bathroom.  ;)  And, as you said the other night, "I just can't help but be excited about birthdays because every year brings me closer and closer to being a mommy and a grandma!"


You are still as much a bookworm as ever!  The other day, when you forgot to bring along a book to read as we ran our errands in town, you told me that you "just ache to read!"  Until about a month ago, you still read the Little House books more than any others.  I can't imagine how many times you've read through that series by now!  You are an expert on them, and can give all sorts of details about them, as well as book and chapter reference.  ;)  Then, you came across the Ramona books, and then the Betsy-Tacy books, and you've slowed WAY down on your Little House reading.  Still, you refuse to have Farmer Boy removed from your bed, claiming that you're reading it.  (Probably the longest that it's ever taken you to read one of those books.)  ;D


You're a sharp little kid.  I wonder if it's because you read so much, or if you read so much because you are sharp and have such a desire for learning?  This year, we've noticed how you can apply principles gleaned from one situation or book to another unrelated situation.  You have a mind that can grasp concepts quickly, and commit things to memory easily.  You've mastered many math concepts as well, and can count by 10's, 5's, and 2's.  You think it's funny to try to count by random numbers like 4 or 20.  You can do simple math in your head, and are getting very good at counting money, too.  You understand what "half" means, and can come up with the half of even numbers up to about 20.  When it comes to conversation, you are pretty sharp-witted for your age.  Daddy is probably responsible for that.  Well, we could probably lay some of the responsibility at the feet of your Uncle Luke and your Grandpa, as well, as they've given you lots of opportunities to work your bantering muscles.  ;)


When it comes to play, your imagination is boundless.  You love to play with your babies, especially Beauty and Olie (yes, Olie has gone through a few name changes...first Olie, then Baby Carrie, then Baby Grace, and most recently, back to the original name you gave her).  You generally keep Emily nearby and change her clothes, but Beauty and Olie see the most action.  You also have gotten into playing "house" a lot, and try your best to get the boys to play along in a satisfactory manner.  Another favorite pastime in the last couple months has been the building of fairy houses...an idea inspired by the book Fairy Houses by Tracy Kane.  Once, Daddy & I put a little plastic fairy that we'd found in the basement in your fairy house while you were sleeping, and I hope I never forget the look of delight on your face when you found her!!!  :D  When you came back in from checking the mail a few days ago, you told me, "I heard a buzzing out there, but it wasn't a bee.  It was either a different kind of bee, or it was fairies snoring."  ;)  You also like to play with your Barbie family, your horses, and your stuffed animals.  A few months ago, I printed out some paperdolls that you could color and cut out, and they have afforded you many hours of enjoyment! You love to write and color with colored pencils, but haven't been doing as much of that since the weather got nice.  And you always seem to have one of your two 100-piece puzzles in progress on the bay window sill.  Before summer, you were very busy with crafts like needlepoint, cross-stitch, and especially your weaving loom.  You made lots and lots of "potpads" (as you called them).  You've also become very good at riding your bike, and you and the boys have spent lots of time doing that especially since we moved.  All this to say, you stay very busy.  Which reminds me of the morning a few weeks ago when you were telling me all the things you had on your to-do list, "There will be such a scurry!" you said!  ;)


This past year, Daddy & I have both marveled at how much of a help you've become.  Like most toddlers and preschoolers, you've always had a huge desire to be a "helper," but now you're actually helpful!  You can make your bed; dust; wash dishes; clean bathroom mirrors & sinks; fold, hang, and put away some clothes; help me put clean sheets on a bed; prepare and chop cilantro with my mezzaluna; wash & dry veggies; and lots of other things around the house.  It's such a blessing to me to be able to have you do things like that!  You've also become an immense help with the dogs.  You can let them in and out of their kennels, and they have all learned to mind you pretty well.  You also check their water, and give them fresh water if they need it.  We got some puppies this summer, and you've been invaluable in caring for them!  As a result, the puppies adore you and bounce along after you when you play with them.  It is absolutely one of the cutest scenes to observe!



After helping me in the kitchen for a good hour the other day, you said, "Someday I won’t even play with my toys anymore!  I’ll just help you and read my books.”  “Yes, that will be kind of a sad day when we pack up your dolls and toys,” I said.  “No, I don’t think I’ll ever pack up my dolls," you said with a little surprise in your voice. "I’ll still have time to play with them.  Even when I’m all grown up and I have kids, I will probably play with my dolls down in the basement when the kids are taking naps.  Then when they wake up, if I don’t have time to put my dolls away, I’ll just close the door and leave them in there until I can play with them again later.”


This year has brought about a change in your relations with your brothers.  For one, Bret has certainly begun to step into the more typical brother role...loving to tease you and push your buttons to watch you get upset.  Who can blame him?  It is kinda funny!  ;)  And Cody has changed from a baby into an assertive toddler this year, and doesn't tolerate your mothering quite as well as he used to.  But, having said that, you still spend most of the time playing happily with your brothers and looking after them as only a loving big sister can. The other day, I overheard this conversation: "We’re brother and sister, so we always love each other, right?" you asked Bret as you were both building with Duplos on the living room floor. "Yeah, we love each other," he agreed.  You went on, "Even though sometimes we don’t play together or we don’t act like it, we do still love each other."  "Yeah, we do," he said.  Then you said, "Bret, if there’s ever anything too hard for you, just tell me and I’ll do it for you, okay?"


This past year, you grew 2.25" so you are now 44.5" tall!  In some ways, you are such a girl...playing dolls and house, insisting on wearing dresses every day, and loving to dress up and feel beautiful.  In other ways, you're not all that girly...you would rather not brush your hair every day, you don't really mind getting dirty, and you're very competitive.




I thank God for you, my precious daughter.  Each day, the gifts God has stored within you become more pronounced, and I long to see Him bring them out and develop them for you to share with each life you touch.   I treasure my days with you, encountering the world through your eyes and words, and enjoying the simple delights that you share with me.  The only thing I would change would be to make it all last a little longer.  I love you, always.

Love, Mommy

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Jenn, this is absolutely priceless! I love the way you write, again one day you must put these letters in a book for each of your children. You are so descriptive, making it such a delight to read. When I come to the end, I always wish there was more. Besides all this, it helps so much for me to know my Gt. granddaughter a little better. As the miles separate us, I would miss out on all of her growing up years if you did not take the time to write these letters. What a delightful girl Serena is! Happy 6th Birthday to you, my dear Serena. Love n Hugs, Gram